Temple Grove was built in 1611 on the site of the former manor house of the Manor of East Sheen and West Hall. It was owned by the Temple family throughout the eighteenth century. It was inherited by Henry Temple, 3rd Lord Palmerston and sold by him when he came of age in 1806. The verandah was added by Sir Thomas Bernard in 1806. It was bought by Rev. William Pearson in 1810 who founded Temple Grove School which was moved to Eastbourne in 1907. The pond in the foreground is now represented by the pronounced dip in Observatory and Palmerston Roads.